Sunday, January 10, 2010

Another One Bites the Dust

Well it's day 10 of the new year, and I've realized I haven't set any New Years Resolutions yet - well, offically that is. How are yours doing? Did you have a left over cookie from Christmas and totally give up on your plan of a healthy diet? Or miss a workout, give in to a cigarette, and tell yourself your whole plan is ruined?

The nature of a new year's resolution is destructive in itself - when we place a giant time stamp on something and don't achieve it, it gives us the excuse to quit, and to accept failure. I remember years ago, I had a piano teacher who mentioned to me that she doesn't believe in new year's resolutions - because if you realize that something in your life needs to be addressed, then why wait until the calendar gives you the go ahead?

Time itself is a human invention and really truly exists in the human mind. Nature knows no concept of past or future, only present. Too we often forget that the minutes, hours, days, and years - those elements comprising the 365 day calendar - are an entirely a human creation. The Earth existed well before, and will exist well after, time is kept by humanity.

In this knowledge, I wonder why we are so keen to place timestamps on goals, or more importantly, how we determine failure. If failure is "I only lost 1 pound this week, instead of the 5 I planned - this is never going to work!", then how can you ever move forward? Do you think your body says "hey, it's January 1st! Better boost my metabolism, another year has rolled around".

Well I believe it's essential to set goals, I don't believe we should use the excuse of a new year, or a new month, or our birthday, etc. to say "it's time to do this". Live every day like it's your last, and work on things day by day to the best of your ability. If it takes you a little longer to accomplish something, so what? It's never too late to accomplish anything, so long as you're alive, and using a calendar to justify giving up or not trying in the first place is simply a cop out.

2 comments:

Miss Monique said...

Well said and written Karen. I love your philosophy about time. Time is definitely subjective and constructed. I agree with your stance of New Year's resolutions, but also sometimes that is the only time people reflect about the previous year and the changes they want to make to attribute to the next year.

Miss Monique said...

Well said and written Karen. I love your philosophy about time. Time is definitely subjective and constructed. I agree with your stance about New Year's resolutions, but sometimes the only time people reflect about the previous year and become aware of the changes they need to conduct for the next year is during that time.