Saturday, March 8, 2008

Snowpidity

I found that a lot of my posts lately have been drawing back to the topic of weather. But with the winter we've had here in Toronto, do you blame me? One thing I can't help but commenting on is the way people in the city, regardless of age, gender, race, or any other difference you can think of, collectively act during winter storms and bad weather.

I was actually excited for this winter storm that is currently upon us simply for the fact that I'm up to my ears in assignments, final papers and impending exams and know that I literally need every hour, minute and second I can get to work on assignments. When I heard there was to be X amount of centimeters dropped overnight and into Saturday I was overjoyed since I had to work this morning and into the afternoon, and a deserted store = time for readings. While the store was much more deserted than usual, I was shocked and almost disturbed at the amount of people who did come in. And not so much over the act of coming to a pharmacy/grocery store, but rather for why and what they were buying.

For example, a man faced trechourous roads and an icy, unplowed bridge (our store is is situated just over the railway tracks) with cars sliding all over the road and buses stalling, unable to get up and though, to drop of two shirts to be laundered at our dry cleaning service. Laundered mind you, soap and water, like what your washing machine does at home.

Another came in to buy a cartload of Dr. Pepper and nothing else. Just Dr. Pepper. I watched him struggle to get the cart though the snow and to his car. 10 minutes later, he dragged the cart though the snow to buy another cartload. Did anyone fail to tell me the Dr. Pepper has excellent snow and ice melting properties?

No comments: