Sunday, February 10, 2008

Running of the Books


For York students, such as myself, tomorrow kicks of the annual week of reading, AKA Reading Week. While many students with more money than brains decide to spend the week flouncing around tropical climates whilst beating their organs relentlessly with alcohol and substances, others actually take the time off to (gasp!) catch up on their readings and quell the anxiety attacks lurking in the cockles of their hearts.

As I'm sure you've already guessed, I'm of the latter group mentioned. Even if I did have the money to go on some sort of spring break vacation (and after four years of university, I still cannot for the life of me figure out how these kids can go on vacations and still afford tuition, books, rent - you know, general survival and the like. I enjoy eating and having a roof over my head, so Mexico just doesn't fit into the equation at the moment), I'd be holed up in my hotel room writing papers and reading material from the 3 classes I've already fallen horribly behind in despite by best efforts. I've quickly discovered that it's very hard to sit in your study and read modernist poetry and pages about the lives of the Babyboom generation when you can just imagine the sun, sand and/or snow (whatever floats your boat) that many of your peers are enjoying at that same moment. So, to somewhat remedy the situation, I booked off an entire weekend (something I haven't enjoyed since the end of August) from my work, and am in the process of planning a somewhat exciting and leisurely weekend. I'm thinking skiing....that's about as far as my overworked mind can get at this point. But I've still got some time. Any ideas anyone?

Happy reading week! And remember: read responsibly.

1 comment:

Mel2008 said...

Ya know how we can afford vacations and pay for tuition..... having 2-3 jobs and spending it all like rockstars till we haven't got a dime left! At least that's what I do. But it's all worth it, trust me. Take time out for yourself at least and go away when your graduate this summer!