Sunday, December 30, 2007

Double OH Eight

Well, it's that time of year again. Out with the old, in with the new. It's hard to believe last year at this time I was doing the same thing - sitting at my computer, blogging about the past 12 months of my life. It's funny how days, weeks, and months can seem like forever when we're actually living them. For example, the 5 months Justin was away in Whistler seemed like an eternity. I didn't think we were going to be able to make it through. Hell, there were times in all honesty I didn't think I was going to come out of it sane. But looking back on it, it really wasn't that big of a deal. Same with my job in the summer. I'm gonna come clean now - I hate working full time. HATE. Hate is a strong word, and I'm willing to use it a thousand times over when I describe my experiences doing the ol' 9 - 5, 5 days a week. I used to think it was because I was lazy, and I'm sure that's part of it (c'mon, you're trying to tell me that you wouldn't rather sleep or watch tv or do whatever it else you do with your time rather than getting up at 6 am to battle rush hour traffic, stare at a computer screen and have some jackass dictate what you're going to do today? Please. Spare me.) It's more so that life can become so tedious, so quickly. When you go to the same place everyday, do the same thing, go home and only look forward to going back 15 hours later, well, what kind of a life is that?

What I've really discovered about myself this year is this - I'm a lot stronger, at least mentally, than I thought I was. I crave structure and hate surprises/spontaneity, but I cannot and will not be able to pursue a career in a job in which I sit at a desk and do the same thing day in, day out. I've learned that I really have a super low tolerance for ignorant people. And that 95% of the people my age are just that. I've learned that I really need to be more tolerant of people, since unfortunately we're all at different stages and learning different lessons, and I can't judge people from the places I've been, the things I've seen and learnt, and what I think is right and wrong. Alternatively, I cannot let these people do the same with me.


I've learned
to hold on to my friends dearly, as the last few years (and especially this year) has taught me that people are not always who they seem to be, and your dearest friend can turn into someone and something totally different at the drop of a hat. Love everyone but trust no one. I can't stress that anymore. Knowing that, love everyone who's there for you as much and as hard as you possibly can. So as 2007 leaves us, I find myself pondering a year in review - what I've accomplished, what I haven't, and where 2008 will find me. I'll be finishing school next year, and I have no bloody clue what to do next. 2008 could prove to be on of the scariest and surprised-filled years of my life. It's definitely the first where I'm unable to confidently look into the future and say "I'll be here next year" or "this will happen next year". But then again, with the state of the world and the way our lives can change in an instant, who truly can?

Happy new year. Don't be too hard on yourself this year.

No comments: