Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Damn the Ignorant, Not the Institution

York University has been in the news a lot since the summer, many detailing seperate incidents of harrassment and assault. The details of each incident have been kept deliberately vauge, understandably so to protect the identity of the victims. Many are quick to blame York's security team for the crimes occuring on campus. However, many are unaware that this year alone York has spent over 3 million dollars on its CCTV network and increased sercurity presense (CTV News, Jan. 16/08), and there is barely an inch of campus that isn't covered under the watchful eye of security guards 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The only places, however, that are not guarded by cameras and regular security presense is in an area where privacy is expected: the residence.


I've personally never stayed in a residence before. Coming from a lower-middle class family, and being in such close proximity to several university campuses, I've had no need. However, I've stayed with friends at Western, at York, and even in dorm-style staff residences with my boyfriend when he was in Whistler B.C. A common trend I've seen among all was the tendancy to leave dorm doors open - not just unlocked, but physically open, while my friends would work, play, or even leave the room entirely for several minutes or hours. I'm an only child and have always lived on my own, and so I found this behaviour curious. The answer to my question was "it's anti-social to close your doors". My response to that is, is it anti-social to protect your belongings and your personal safety? Am I being anti-social when I lock my door when I sleep, when I step out, or even when I'm inside to protect myself? What if a robber or a rapist wants to stop by? I really wouldn't want to offend.

I barely trust my things and my privacy in my own home, never mind in a hall full of strangers or people you believe you "know". Not to mention that who knows who or what kind of people your hall mates or building mates are bringing into your living space. It gets under my skin when I hear people play the victim, especially when they pass the buck to an institution that does what it can to protect its population. However, one must realize that public safety can only go so far, and if one is not adamant about working to ensure one's own safety, how can they expect to be safe 100% of the time?

News flash - the world is a terrible place, and there are millions of people out there who will do what they will, for whatever sick or desparate reason, to take advantage of you. If you choose to walk down dark alleys at night, leave your door open to whomever so chooses to enter, or put yourself into situations where you safety may be compromised, you have no one to blame but yourself for letting others take advantage of you.

How many incidents will it take before women realize that they cannot safely travel alone? For that matter, when will men realize they're not exempt from being a victim of crime? It's not fair, but it's a fact of life. Go with a buddy, take a self-defense class, carry a cell phone or whistle. Be aware of who your friends are - even those who you trust can be given to temptation. I found out the hard way when I left my purse in my boyfriend's house for 45 seconds, and had it stolen by an affluent kid who has most likely never had to work a day in his life, with everything in my purse already at his fingertips should he just say the word. It's disgusting, but it's reality.

So York, Are we safe? Only when we are all willing to take responsibility for our own actions, and not a moment until then.


UPDATE:


Information re: January alleged sexual assault

TORONTO, January 29, 2008 -- The Toronto Police Sex Crimes Unit, in cooperation with York University Security Services, has completed its investigation in relation to the alleged sexual assault that was reported to have occurred on Friday, January 11, 2008 at Founders College Residence, York University.

It has been determined that the sexual assault did not occur at York University.


In light of this new information, I realize I entirely forgot to mention the question of flat-out lying or hyperbolizing an encounter out of desperation, the need for attention, and a myriad of motivations that come out of the troubled minds of young women. What's that saying again? Believe none of what you hear, half of what you read? Yea. Case in point, and closed.

No comments: